Beef Stroganoff is one of my all time favorite quick and easy dinners. It is simple since it only has a few ingredients. We use ground beef because it is cheap! But, you can use any kind of steak strips depending on your preference.
During spring we are so busy with soccer, karate, dance and gymnastics, we must have these simple go to recipes in order to not bust the budget by running through the drive thru. If you have never thought about how much money you spend dining out, read our post about food cost.
Having quick meals takes a bit of planning but is actually easier than you thing. You just have to make a commitment to eat at home!
This beef stroganoff recipe freezes very well if you want to make early or for lunch sized portions. Since this meal is so quick, we usually just prepare while the kids are doing their homework at the kitchen table.
- 1 ½ pound lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 package wide egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon chives
- Prepare egg noodles according to package instructions.
- In a heavy pan, add 1-2 tablespoons of butter to medium to low heat.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are golden and tender.
- Add ground beef and brown well and drain.
- Add cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup to ground beef and mix thoroughly.
- Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir sour cream into beef mixture and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over bed of noodles or stir noodles into mixture prior to serving.
- Sprinkle chives on top to finish.